Sunday, March 25, 2012

Perfectly Boiled Eggs

I love eggs. Scrambled, boiled, fried, and in salads.

My kids do too.  Yes, you read that correctly, my kids and I actually both like a pretty healthy food!  Not too long ago, people used to shun eggs because of their high cholesterol content.  Luckily though, it has recently been discovered that eggs do not in fact raise your cholesterol and are still a great source of protein.  I scramble them up regularly for a quick breakfast before getting on the road for school.

One of my absolute favorite way to eat eggs is deviled.  I have always liked them better when someone else makes them though, because I despise spending the time trying to boil them perfectly, then cool the eggs off, and attempting to peel the suckers without peeling off most of the egg whites in the process.

I am pleased to announce however that just in time for Easter and eggs galore, my problems are solved!  If you follow the directions below, I guarantee you a perfectly boiled egg.  Quick to boil, perfectly yellow and white with no gray tinge to the yolk, and best of all, a breeze to peel.  It's an Easter miracle!


Perfectly Boiled Eggs

Eggs
Tap water (enough to cover the eggs)
1/4 c. white distilled vinegar (You won't be able to taste the vinegar, and don't skip it!  This is what makes the eggs easy to peel.)
1 T. Salt

Combine water, salt and vinegar in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
Add the eggs, one at a time, being careful not to crack them.  I can usually fit 8-12 eggs in, depending on the pot I use.
Reduce the heat to a gentle boil, and cook for 14 minutes.

Once the eggs have cooked, remove them from the hot water, and place into a container of ice water or cold, running water. Cool completely, about 15 minutes. Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week. 

Or, you can wait for them to cool slightly, peel them under cold running water, and enjoy them right away like this!



No comments:

Post a Comment